Business Development Manager
SunGate Solar is the leading solar design, installation, and service company in South Sudan. SunGate Solar has been operating throughout South Sudan since 2013 and has sold and installed over 500 kW of solar energy systems. SunGate Solar is expanding to also be the first developer, implementer, and operator of solar micro-grids in South Sudan. We are looking for a Business Development Manager (BDM) to join our team.
The BDM will support and coordinate external engagement and relationship success with a cross-section of stakeholders, including customers, government entities, partners, and others key to the success of our projects and our company. The candidate will play a critical role in supporting the mission of SunGate Solar by identifying potential mini-grid sites and finding potential customers. You will be responsible for marketing and collecting applications from customers for solar micro-grids and electric devices, including new cooking appliances
This position will be located in our Wau office, with extensive travel required to support stakeholders in every state and major town in South Sudan. Some international travel may be required.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Developing and executing our stakeholder engagement strategy, plans, and commitments, including identifying stakeholder risks and opportunities.
- Liaising with government officials to obtain all necessary permits, letters of introduction, and licenses from regional and district offices needed to conduct work at current or prospective micro-grid sites.
- Conducting site-surveying to identify potential micro-grid sites and customers
- Leading the customer application and on-boarding processes to find and enroll customers for micro-grid installations and devices, including solar electric cooking appliances.
- Communicating effectively with village leaders to explain the micro-grid concept, obtain land lease agreements, and ensure positive community relationships for micro-grid sites.
- Educating and registering micro-grid customers during micro-grid installations.
- Managing efficiently the materials and tools required for your work, including electronics such as GPS devices and tablets used for fieldwork.
- Providing post-installation customer service to micro-grid and electric appliance customers.
- Supervising and training surveyors and Customer Engagement Associates.
- Developing participant guidance and outreach materials.
- Interfacing both in person and via phone with micro-grid and appliance customers and feasibility studies to explore new markets.
- Developing and conducting surveys and interviews with customers and other stakeholders.
- Leading training and demonstration events.
- Documenting participant and project success through photos, videos, and stories.
- Reporting on project progress and milestones.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- BSc/BA in Business, Business Administration, or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a plus
- More than 5 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication abilities.
- Strong connection with and enthusiasm for local communities, particularly women.
- Ability to communicate, engage, and connect with market shop owners and households.
- Some knowledge of cultural practices related to cooking in South Sudan.
- Basic experience with using tablets (or ability to learn).
To apply for this position, please fill in and submit the form below. Be sure to upload a copy of your resume / CV. Please paste your cover letter in the field provided and describe:
- Why you are a good fit for this position.
- Your date of availability.
- Desired salary range.
- Current work situation.
- Type the names and contact information for 2-3 professional references in the field provided.